- NOTE: Due to COVID-19 prenatal education is being offered during prenatal checkup appointments.
- Group sessions will resume at a later date.
- Your First Prenatal Group Session will be booked at 8 to 10 weeks of pregnancy.
- A first prenatal checkup with a physician will be booked at 12 to 13 weeks of pregnancy.
- Monthly checkups will be scheduled from 14 to 32 weeks of pregnancy.
- At about 36 weeks you will have checkups scheduled every two weeks and a Labour and Delivery Group Session.
- At 36 to 40 weeks of pregnancy you will have a checkup every week.
First Prenatal Group Visit (8 to 10 weeks of pregnancy)
During your first prenatal group visit you will fill out your prenatal and health history during an education group session. Prenatal topics such as nutrition, food safety, nausea, physical activity, and medications will be discussed. If you are older than 35 please contact the clinic regarding additional screening. Prenatal physician options will be presented, and blood work and ultrasound will be booked. This session is approximately 1.5 hours long and children are not encouraged to attend. You will be asked to turn off/silence your phones during the group visit. All personal information is confidential, and you will be asked to sign a confidentiality form.
Labour and Delivery Group Appointment
At approximately the 36th week of your pregnancy you will be scheduled to attend an educational group session regarding your labour and delivery. The session will cover the following topics:
- The signs of labour
- Progression of labour
- When to go to the hospital
- What to expect after you arrive at the hospital
- What complications may occur
- Pain relief in labour
- Ways for support persons to be of assistance during labour
- What to bring to the hospital
During the (approximately 1.5 hour) session a labour and delivery video will be shown. Due to the session length and graphic video, children are strongly encouraged not to attend.